Sunday, March 11, 2007

24 hours

That's how long the old bike was clean. I finished it up Saturday afternoon, put it on the trainer, lubed the chain, adjusted everything, and rode it for 20 minutes or so. Aside from tires, it's ready for the road.

That last fact didn't stop me from getting out for a 13.4-mile jaunt this afternoon. The bike was smooth and quiet, with a few exceptions, but the biggest problem was the enormous puddles. There's a lot of snowmelt going on, and I was forever having to cross into the oncoming lane to avoid some major bodies of water and the inevitable potholes they concealed. Had to negotiate a few anyway because of traffic, so my feet got wet and ultimately cold. I doubt it was much above 40F, with a strong headwind for the second half of the ride. All the same, it was good to get out, though the bike took a beating from all the road crap that's out there. Not clean anymore, by any means.

Had some front shifting issues when moving to the small ring, so will need to adjust the inward travel of the front derailleur. Shifting also felt kinda harsh or something, like the chain wasn't very well-lubed. Think I'll stick with 3-in-1 oil for this bike - it just seems to perform better. Had some kind of a minor clunk occasionally, which may mean I need to retighten the locknuts on the cranks. That's where I'll start anyway. And the seat rocks back and forth a little too easily, so more tightening there. All minor stuff. And of course a recleaning...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home