Sunday, June 08, 2008

Historical Tour of Clifton Park

Today, the Town of Clifton Park, across the Mohawk River from Schenectady, sponsored a 16-mile bike ride, with the town historian, to several sites of historic significance in the northern part of the town. Originally, it was looking like a hot humid day near 90 degrees, with possible storms in the afternoon. That forecast improved a bit, with a lesser chance of storms, more clouds, lower temperatures, and a stiff breeze, so I decided to bike the 13 miles from home to the starting point, do the 16-mile ride, and then bike home again, for 40 or so miles total. It did hit 90 around mid-day, but dropped into the 80s during the ride.

Since I arrived early, as always, I stopped at the Jonesville Country Store for a very good sandwich before the ride. The ride itself was slow-paced, with 4-5 historical stops with commentary, and a couple of refreshment stops as well. After 14.4 miles, I found myself at Lakeside Farms, and the remainder of the ride was simply a return to the starting point. Since I was also now at the point nearest home, I had some ice cream and then bailed out and headed home. Despite the heat, I had no problems with this 41 miles, probably because I was hydrating WAY more than usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home